Home > Development, Games, Programming > An Experiment

An Experiment

February 1, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

This is what happened when I attempted to make a real-time shooter game with just text, and no special libraries. That’s the player and various enemies on screen, shooting +’s at each other. It works great on the Linux computer, but on a Windows computer, the command prompt scrolls up somewhat smoothly, thus ruining the screen updates. Imagine massive screen tearing. But hey, I made it in a day.  I think this type of system would still work for something a little bit slower paced, like a turn based grid strategy game or something.

At some point, I may replace the rendering code with ncurses, and use pdcurses to make it work on Windows. I plan to start working on full OpenGL games again soon, so maybe I’ll port it. We shall see.

Advertisements
  1. Mauvebib
    February 1, 2008 at 5:35 pm

    I find it wonderful that the idea of text based games is a novelty to you. This is the sort of game I grew up making in BASIC on the spectrum.

  2. February 1, 2008 at 7:04 pm

    Yeah, it’s fun to take a step back and test out gameplay ideas, and it’s great practice too.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: